[flashrom] at45db buffer overflow

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sat May 10 14:00:07 CEST 2014

On Sat, 10 May 2014 12:53:06 +0200
The Raven <originalraven at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi and THX for your patch! :-)
> Tested again with newest flashrom (r1790), AT45DB021D and your patch:
> Read and erase works (see the attached log (only for erase, if you need
> a read log, tell me)).
> But write is not working (see log).
> The strange thing is:
> First write command works. But the dumped file, or let's say the flash,
> was only 3/4 (or less) full of data.
> So i fill it up with dummy data (hex-editor) to write the whole flash.
> After that write doesn't work anymore.
> But erase still works.
>
> I have only applied the second patch. Is this wrong? Do i need both patches?

No, mine intends to fix the same thing as Alexander's. You only need
one/mine.

> I have AT45DB011B, AT45DB011D, AT45DB021D and AT45DB161D to test drive.

Thanks a lot for testing. This is a bit odd. Maybe there is another bug
somewhere, e.g. in the definition of AT45DB021D. Please create all logs
with the -o option of flashrom in the future. This guarantees correct
order of messages (which is wrong in the write log you sent).

Can you please do another write (best would be fresh random data easily
created with dd) but with '-VVV -o AT45DB021D-write-VVV.log'? It might
be useful to know the exact data too, so please upload the following
images to http://paste.flashrom.org too.
- The random image supplied to -w
- The image read after writing produced by -r

I would also like to know if another chip works with the patch now, but
that's not so important. I have a AT45DB041D myself and will try on
that too in the next days. I need to set up my equipment first though.

> PS: Sorry for my bad english.

Perfectly understandable and not embarrassing at all, really.