[flashrom] raspberry pi as lpc programmer

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sat May 3 14:54:56 CEST 2014

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 02:39:41 -0700 (PDT)
goran metlic <goran_metlic at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm not proficient in programming and have used before available information about flashing bios chips. I have flashed SPI bios using flashrom and RPI. Now I need to flash LPC chip - SST49LF080A. I don't have access to programmer that can program this chip but i was wandering what needs to be done to enable raspberry pi to flash this type of chips.
>
> I have seen programmer using Atmel chip so i wanted to know if something can be changed on raspberry pi side to enable LPC flashing (or parallel for that matter).
>
> I'm willing to experiment with raspberry pi and LPC / parallel chips.

The main problem is the lack of GPIO pins on the rpi. Without knowledge
in electronics engineering you wont be successful in extending the rpi
as needed. It is probably easier to get an old compatible mainboard that
you can use for hotswapping the flash chips while the system is running.