[flashrom] issue with Micron N25Q128

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sat May 3 14:45:05 CEST 2014

On Fri, 2 May 2014 20:42:47 +0000
Shih-Chieh Huang <shih-chieh.huang at ericsson.com> wrote:

> Thank you for helping me on this. We disable the security from AMI BIOS temporary to walk around this. In the future, we will need to re-enable the security feature. I was wondering if flashrom has plan to support such feature.  Thanks.

Hello,

it depends on which write protection you are referring to?

As far as I know not all of them can be disabled from a running OS.
Others require a handshake with SMM code that is firmware
vendor-specific and they won't tell us how that works (even if it would
be secure to do so due to cryptographic signatures in the images). We
would like to support these kind of things but without public
documentation this is not feasible. It would be great if you, as a
customer with a voice that might not be ignored like our, could lobby
for a solution in these cases.

Everything else will be happily supported if we get to know about it
and there is documentation :)