[flashrom] Serprog/Arduino flasher

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Fri May 2 21:27:51 CEST 2014

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 02:46:57 -0600
Eric Marks <bigmarkslp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I successfully used a Arduino Uno as a serprog programmer to program a
> SST25VF016B with
> Flashrom 0.9.5.2-r1517 on Ubuntu.
>
> I had tried hooking the eeprom up to the Arduino via level shifting
> via resistors, and then via level shifting mosfets + resistors, and finally
> via a level conversion chip, but none of them worked reliably.  I finally
> converted my Ardruino Uno to 3.3v by replacing the regulator.
>
> http://learn.adafruit.com/arduino-tips-tricks-and-techniques/3-3v-conversion
>
> This was a much easier solution, and it worked reliably.  Once converted to
> 3.3v, no extra components are needed.  Just wire the eeprom directly to
> pins 10,11,12,13, GND, and 5V (which is now actually 3.3v).  Remember,
> three pins of the eeprom go to 3.3v.
>
> I still had to slow the UART speed down to 115200 for the Arduino sketch on
> the Uno, and while reading took a normal amount of time, it took several
> hours to program the chip.  I used -VVV to enable very very verbose output
> to monitor the progress.
>
> Could someone update the wiki with this information?  It didn't look like
> there was any place to sign up and edit it myself.
>
> http://www.flashrom.org/Serprog/Arduino_flasher
>
> Thanks for helping me save a server!

Thanks for your report and sorry for the late reply. I have created a
wiki account for you in case you still want to contribute. The Arduino
page requires quite some clean up IIRC. The original author really
likes to be verbose... ;) The level shifting is indeed a delicate issue
sometimes. Some chips react way worse to imperfect signals than others.