[flashrom] PMC25LV010E

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jun 1 20:57:36 CEST 2014

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 20:27:11 +0200
The Raven <originalraven at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > So far the only difference is the way we probe for the chip
> > The method used for the non-A model works for both; the one used for
> > the A version is only supported by itself but not by the non-A
> > (visible in your logs of the "Pm25LV010E").
> > Therefore your Pm25LV010 is actually a Pm25LV010A, at least if my
> > theory and hence the code is correct.
> Ok, and now? :-)
> If the method for the non-A works for both, can we use only this?

Yes, we could and if I would not plan to redo probing in flashrom
completely, then I would do that. But with the new probing the two
chips could easily be distinguished without user interaction.

Even then it would not make much of a difference other than allowing
the user to get the exact model by using flashrom, because everything
else flashrom defines for them is equal - yet. I haven't checked, but I
presume that e.g. maximum allowed SPI clock is different. We do not use
that yet, but a future version of flashrom could set the frequency
according to the detected chip. Then it becomes very relevant to
distinguish the chips.

> And let's say my "Pm25LV010" is an "A". Then it seems to work with
> both definitions (tested).
> I attached logs. This are only from the chip "Pm25LV010" (the non "E"
> version,
> you think this is "A" version).
> One log with -c "Pm25LV010A" and the other (same chip!) with -c "Pm25LV010".
>
> Strange thing this PMC-Chips! :-/

That's expected because the definitions are otherwise completely equal
right now. There are similar cases in the code base already although
none where the chips are THAT similar (e.g. definitions using
MACRONIX_MX25L1605).