[flashrom] Exiting due to SIGSEGV

John Pohlman jpohlman at fuse.net
Mon Jul 7 20:10:35 CEST 2014

I have it loaded on a flash drive along with doslfn (Dos long file name)
so that it doesn't error out with a file not found when it tries to
access DMIDECODE (which with 8.3 convention is DMIDEC~1).

First two boards that I ran this configuration on (with the jumper
closed since these are HP XW9400) backed up the existing ROM without any
problem and then flashed to one with the current boot block as it was
supposed to.

Third board, backed up the existing BIOS and then completed the reflash
with verify and immediately after passing verification threw the error.
This board is now bricked.

Fourth board throws the error immediately after doing a backup of the
flash or even a simple probe.  This one I haven't flashed, so it didn't
brick.

So I tried to do a rom backup and probe with one of the first 2 boards
since those passed without any problem, but it also now throws the
error.

It's not memory or processor since I'm using known good components.

>>> Stefan Tauner  06/25/14 3:23 AM >>>
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 22:31:15 -0400
"John Pohlman"  wrote:

> I've got a strange one here flashing an HP XW9400
>
> flashrom 0.9.6 running on FreeDos worked perfectly for reading and
writing a bios but now it throws this error on exit along with an EIP
error.

> The problem occurs on multiple boards even when doing something as
simple as writing a bios dump.

> Anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

what does "now" mean? Did the flashrom version change, or anything
else? Can you please post a log or at least an excerpt of one?