[flashrom] Fwd: Intel (R) Developer Zone - Case #: 00091086 [ ref:_00DU0JBUY._500U0AExiQ:ref ]

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Fri Jan 24 00:41:07 CET 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Elmar Stellnberger <estellnb at elstel.org>wrote:

> Dear FlashRom mailing list,
>
>   I have a pb dot se 2 netbook with a CG82NM10 Bios chip.
> The good news is that Intel was ready to give us all necessary tech docs
> for supporting it by flashrom.
> Not so good news are:
> - the chip is not removable so trying to write it would likely only work
> once
> - I currently don`t have time to join your programming effort
> Nonetheless I believe that we should at least try to offer read support
> for the given chip. Being
> able to verify the installed Bios can already be of great value when it
> comes to system security.
> If that has worked well I am also ready to venture testing a write support
> though I would have
> to ask whether and how the chip could be repaired on a failed write
> attempt.

More good news: The NM10/ICH7 has been supported for years now :-)

More not-so-good news: Unfortunately, laptops are usually difficult or
impossible to support due to embedded controllers which often share the ROM
with the host chipset (NM10 in your case). See the following URL for
details: http://flashrom.org/Laptops

> Elmar
>
> Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
>
> *Von: *Intel Customer Support <supportreplies at intel.com>
> *Betreff: **RE: Intel (R) Developer Zone - Case #: 00091086 [
> ref:_00DU0JBUY._500U0AExiQ:ref ]*
> *Datum: *22. Jänner 2014 20:43:16 MEZ
> *An: *"estellnb at elstel.org" <estellnb at elstel.org>
>
> Hello Elmar,
>
> Thank you for your interest in Intel and for your inquiry regarding
> documentation for the CG82NM10 Bios Chip.
>
> We truly appreciate every opportunity to provide assistance. Information
> available to the public that will be helpful with your research is located
> on our Web sites listed below:
>
> Product specification for Intel® NM10 Express Chipset-Intel® CG82NM10 PCH
> is located in ark.intel.com:
> http://ark.intel.com/products/47610/Intel-CG82NM10-PCH
> Datasheet for the product can be found:
> http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/322896.pdf
> Specification update for the chipset can be found:
>
> https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/cedar-trail/nm10-chipset-spec-update.html
> ?
>
> Best regards with your research,
>
> Aida s.