[flashrom] Is there a sure-fire way to reset any BIOS flash image to its default, out-of-the-box state with no special equipment?

linx255 at nym.hush.com linx255 at nym.hush.com
Tue Feb 25 08:54:40 CET 2014

Thanks for your helpful info!

My motherboard has no removable chips.  What kind of programming device would you recommend for a cutting edge Intel server board?  It's one of those 4" x 4" boards with everything compacted into one giant iCore3 chip.  I don't know that the BIOS/UEFI functionality is built into that or other non-removable ICs elsewhere on the board.  And if I get an appropriate programming device can one easily / readily learn to use it to read and write code?  I'm familiar with basic programming concepts, having worked with bash script, C, php, tcl, perl, html, et al.  No knowledge of how to adapt generic coreboot BIOS code to a specific motherboard.  Is it a matter of telling it what hardware to look for?  I imagine there may be all kinds of board-specific devices and functions that only an Intel designer or engineer would know about.  And even if I correctly port the code it seems I could still risk damaging the flash with a misstep of using the programmer—is that right?