[flashrom] Is there a sure-fire way to reset any BIOS flash image to its default, out-of-the-box state with no special equipment?

linx255 at nym.hush.com linx255 at nym.hush.com
Sat Feb 22 06:47:58 CET 2014

Hi, I am seeking an answer to an apparently obscure question.  If I install coreboot on my BIOS (UEFI motherboard) and the computer fails to boot, can I reset the BIOS flash to its default image?  I've read about possibly changing jumper positions or removing the BIOS battery, but I can't seem to establish if these are sure-fire ways of restoring the original BIOS flash image.  I'd like to attempt to install coreboot on a motherboard that doesn't appear to be coreboot-supported, but only if I know I can completely undo this.  Is the default BIOS flash image preserved somewhere on a ROM chip or can it only be restored with special equipment?  I definitely do not want to end up with an unusable machine.  Thanks!

Jim