[flashrom] Problems with Jetway Board and Winbond chip

Idwer Vollering vidwer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 18:51:00 CET 2014

> Hey there…
>
> first of all: Thank you for that incredible flashrom tool.
> But sadly: I can not write my BIOS chip on my Jetway Board.
>
> I got a Jetway NC96FL Mainboard with a Winbond W25Q80BV BIOS Chip, Intel
> NM10 Chipset and running Ubuntu 10.10.
> Flashrom detects the chip and the chipset well, but can not disable block
> protection. So it is not possible to write.
>
> I also tried to flash the chip with the Serprog/Arduino-Flasher on an
> Arduino Uno and it works. (But I want to burn it with my Jetway Board.)
> Then I tried to write it in my Jetway Board with manual raising the
> /WP-Pin of the Winbond Chip to VCC and it works too.
> So is it something (GPIO) to raise the /WP-Pin in the chipset?

Can somebody help me?

The write protection is applied/released by code in the bootblock (or
however EFI does that, nowadays)

You can retrieve the bootblock with bios_extract:
http://review.coreboot.org/gitweb?p=bios_extract.git;a=summary

Here are some writeups that can get you on the right track.
http://flashrom.org/Laptop_enable
http://flashrom.org/Finding_Board_Enable_by_Reverse_Engineering
http://flashrom.org/Board_Enable