[flashrom] question

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Feb 4 23:33:19 CET 2014

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 13:21:58 +0000
Magnus Johansson E <magnus.e.johansson at ericsson.com> wrote:

> Im working with a HW unit (similar to the ICH10), that has two SPI devices connected.
>
> enum ich_spi_mode {
>                                 ich_auto,
>                                 ich_hwseq,
>                                 ich_swseq
>                 } ich_spi_mode = ich_auto;
>
> And I cannot use the ich_hwseq (which is propsed) because the Intel Chipset is only capable of erasing:
> 00: 256 byte
> 01: 4 KB
> 10: 8 KB
> 11: 64 KB
>
> And my flash chip, only support Sector erase/ or Bulk (but I don't like that one) and each sector is 256kB.
>
> So how can I proceed here? As I understand I cannot use the hw_seq and have to go for the sw_seq. But then how to handle the chip-select? When Im running the sw_seq I can only use one flash device, ..
>
> Thanks for support

To my knowledge it is not possible to toggle the chip select by usual
means. The hardware SPI controller does it itself and only if you are
using hardware sequencing. Also, a flash chip without 4kB erase opcodes
does not comply with Intel's requirement for flash chips (and in this
particular case I think these are hard requirements and not just recommendations as usual).

So, these are questions you should ask Intel; or whoever mated these
flash chips with the board, if at all... :)