[flashrom] Flashrom with FTDI support

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 24 02:18:15 CET 2014

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 08:08:40 +0000
Ohad Benjamin <ohad at panpwr.com> wrote:

> This is the output I get after compiling and trying to run flashrom.exe with the programmer connected:
>
> flashrom v0.9.7-r1711 on Windows 6.1 (x86)
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> Unable to open FTDI device: -6 (ftdi_usb_reset failed).
> Error: Programmer initialization failed.
>
> This is what I get when the programmer is disconnected:
>
> $ flashrom.exe -p ft2232_spi:type=232H
> flashrom v0.9.7-r1711 on Windows 6.1 (x86)
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> Unable to open FTDI device: -3 (device not found).
> Error: Programmer initialization failed.

That might be some incompatibility between the ftdi and usb drivers
and/or Windows. I can't really help with that. I recommend testing the
same hardware setup with Linux or another Unix. Another approach would
be to try to use libftdi-1.0... there is a number of bit-rotting patches
dealing with this, see http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/3904/ etc.