[flashrom] Gigabyte GA-J1900N-D3V-1.x data

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Sat Dec 20 23:03:43 CET 2014

Stefan Tauner writes:

> thanks for you report. The flash chip is marked as untested... have you
> verified visually that the actual chip on the board is either a
> MX25U6435E or MX25U6435F,

Yes, they (2, since it's 'Dual BIOS') are marked

  MXIC MX
  25U6435F
  M2I-10G
  8A615600
   L140295

More notes about the board at

  http://lackof.org/taggart/hacking/coreboot/GA-J1900N-D3V-1.x/README

> and if the read data seems legit?

How would I test for that? The checksum of the image read does not match
the blob in the vendor update package of the same version (but I suspect
'Dual BIOS' has something to do with that). Can I binary diff them somehow
or would something like compression interfere with that? Are there tools
for picking apart the image to make comparison easier?

Also I'm a little concerned about something I read somewhere about
Gigabyte's "Dual Bios" feature and possibly needing to give flashrom
additional info in order to deal with that (but I can't find where I read
it now).

How should I process with testing? I haven't setup a way to external flash
yet, maybe the first step getting a good external read that I'd be able to
write back if things went wrong?

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart