[flashrom] updating BIOS for Shuttle SN21G5

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Dec 20 22:36:55 CET 2014

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 20:39:41 +0100
Eduardo de Juan <eduardo.de-juan at adslmail.es> wrote:

> I've downloaded the flashrom program and I have a couple of doubts
> before I can start.

Hello Eduardo!

> 1.- do I need a .rom type file ?
>
> I've visited the Shuttle bios download page and everything there seems
> to be .bin files, for windows flash utilities.
> Do you know where I can find bios file that falshrom can use ?

There is no such thing as rom or bin "file type". These are just names.
Important is the binary data within files and their names may hint to
one thing or another but are in no way conclusive. If the file provided
by shuttle is exactly as big as the flash chip in question, it is
probably just fine to feed into flashrom. If not then more investigation
is needed.

> 2.- running flashrom in probe mode I get
>
>     Found chip set "NVIDIA MCP51".
>     This chip set is marked as untested.
>

> but I guess that means I just have to go ahead and try.

Yes, and other versions of the same chipset work just fine.