[flashrom] Macronix MX25L12835FMI-10G, bus pirate and flashrom support

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 19 22:03:09 CEST 2014

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 14:43:09 +0200
Marli LI <marco.li.li.marco at gmail.com> wrote:

> My output now is:
> >> Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L12805(D)" (16384 kB, SPI).
> >> This chip may contain one-time programmable memory. flashrom cannot read
> >> and may never be able to write it, hence it may not be able to completely
> >> clone the contents of this chip (see man page for details).
>
> I think I can now proceed w/ dumping the chip, right?

Yes, even erase and write should work fine. The chips do not only share
the same ID but also the most important opcodes. I am not expecting
more trouble.

> Can't flashrom somehow distinguish the different Macronix chips? The
> label of mine should be MX25L12835FMI-10g .
> If someone has an idea if such an improvement is possible, I would be
> happy to test/analyze.

With the current infrastructure it can't distinguish them.
Improvements are on the way but even with them it might not be exactly
trivial to accomplish that.