[flashrom] Macronix MX25L12835FMI-10G, bus pirate and flashrom support

Marli LI marco.li.li.marco at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 17:38:04 CEST 2014

Hello all,

I need some help to get this chip MX25L12835FMI-10G manufactured by
Macronix to work w/ flashrom.

I already asked for help on #flashrom IRC channel, but I was referred
to ask on this mailing list.
In fact, before I connected everything I asked on IRC if this chip is
"already" supported, and someone from IRC did double-check it and said
that the other MX25L128 chip model that IS supported is very similar
and identifies itself w/ same code/id (he got this info from
spreadsheet that I've linked below).

So here is my output of flashrom (I've tried both the svn version and
the one shipped with ubuntu packages w/ identical results):
http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=2658

The chip's datasheet should be this one:
http://www.macronix.com/Lists/Datasheet/Attachments/1587/MX25L12835F,%203V,%20128Mb,%20v1.3.pdf
On page 7 you can see the pin-out. The chip type I have has 16 (= 8x2)
pins. There are several NC labels in the pin-out therefore I didn't
connect those.

For the rest of the connections I followed this site:
http://flashrom.org/Bus_Pirate  (because I use a bus pirate w/
hardware version 3.6 ).
The chip itself is directly attached to a pomona 5252 (SOIC-16) test clip.

What follows are some pics of my setup + chip.

Any hints and help would be very much appreciated because I am kind of stuck.

Ps. Today I discovered something interesting in the spreadsheet; the
10 (from -10g suffix) stands for  10: 104MHz . Do I need to set
spispeed to a higher level b/c of this?

Thx again

- - - IMAGES - - -

Macronix MX25L12835FMI-10G chip (16 pins): http://postimg.org/image/y7ykedq6r/
Pomona soic-16 test clip 5252 : http://postimg.org/image/gqru9oum7/
Bus pirate hw version 3.6 : http://postimg.org/image/80a7zp0ub/
Test clip + chip, direction (where point is):
http://postimg.org/image/koc4h655d/
Chip attached: http://postimg.org/image/4ywrbnnst/