[flashrom] Write-Test for "M25P10-A"

The Raven originalraven at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 7 10:48:22 CEST 2014

Am 03.08.2014 um 21:28 schrieb Stefan Tauner:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 15:36:11 +0200
> The Raven <originalraven at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> this chip is marked as "untested" in write mode.
>> So here are my test-results:
>>
>> Erase in d8-Mode is not working (see log).
>> But i think it's the already known "serprog bug".
>> Erase in c7-mode is ok.
>>
>> Write is working in both modes.
>> But i don't know why in c7-mode the log shows:
>> 0x000000-0x007fff:W, 0x008000-0x00ffff:S, 0x010000-0x017fff:S,
>> 0x018000-0x01ffff:S
>>
>> I have created the test-file with dd and urandom. The file (131072 byte)
>> is full with data.
>> So it should write (W) not only to 0x007fff. Strange!
>>
>> If you need more logs or infos, let me know.
>>
>> BTW: The chip is labeled "25P10VP". I see nothing with "-A".
>> And the chip was found on a "Maxtor" hard disk drive.
> That is indeed very strange and I have only one plausible theory about
> that: This could happen if erasing the first block worked fine
> while flashrom failed afterwards. If then the same contents (as were on
> the chip before the erase) would be written, only the first block would
> have to be rewritten. And since your erase had exactly that
> characteristic of failing at the second block this might be the case
> depending on the order and data of your actions.
>
> Could you reproduce that problem? Were you reusing the random file or
> have you recreated it between writes?

Hello,

Now i have realized that i made it wrong! The test is done in d8 mode
and NOT in c7!
Chip is working very well in c7 mode. But in d8 -> no chance!
Erase and programming (which had worked last time i tested, but maybe
not correct?!) fails now always.
But i am still not sure if it's a problem of serprog.

This is the output when trying to write in d8-mode:

Erasing and writing flash chip... Trying erase function 0...
0x000000-0x007fff:EWError: invalid response 0x12 from device
spi_nbyte_program failed during command execution at address 0x0
Reading current flash chip contents... Error: invalid response 0xE6 from
device
Can't read anymore! Aborting.
FAILED!
Uh oh. Erase/write failed. Checking if anything has changed.
Reading current flash chip contents... Error: invalid response 0x80 from
device
Can't even read anymore!
Your flash chip is in an unknown state.
Please report this on IRC at chat.freenode.net (channel #flashrom) or