[flashrom] Issues updating MX25L3206E

Marc Pascual marc.m.pascual at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 13:37:44 CET 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:05 AM, David Hendricks <dhendrix at google.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:08 AM, marc pascual <marcmpascual at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an HP DL165 G7 and I applied the latest BIOS image from HP.
>>
>> root# flashrom -p internal:amd_imc_force=yes -w
>> /var/tmp/2012.07.27.A-O37_0727.ROM -c MX25L3206E
>>
>> flashrom v0.9.7-r1711 on Linux 2.6.32-358.2.1.el6.x86_64 (x86_64)
>> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>>
>> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
>> Found chipset "AMD SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0". Enabling flash write... Writes
>> have been disabled for safety reasons because the presence of the IMC
>> was detected and it could interfere with accessing flash memory. Flashrom
>> will
>> try to disable it temporarily but even then this might not be safe:
>> when it is reenabled and after a reboot it expects to find working code
>> in the flash and it is unpredictable what happens if there is none.
>>
>> To be safe make sure that there is a working IMC firmware at the right
>> location in the image you intend to write and do not attempt to erase.
>>
>> You can enforce write support with the amd_imc_force programmer option.
>> Continuing with write support because the user forced us to!
>> OK.
>> Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L3206E" (4096 kB, SPI) at physical address
>> 0xffc00000.
>> Reading old flash chip contents... done.
>> Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
>> Verifying flash... VERIFIED.
>>
>> However after rebooting the machine once, I'm getting this message:
>>
>> Detect a Unsame SDRR/Configuration Image in Current BIOS
>> BMC SDRR Version : 2.37.0.98      -->      2.33.1.226
>> Erasing Sectors  Done!
>> Uploading SDRR: 100%
>> Uploading Configuration: 100%
>> Update SDRR/Configuration Image successfully
>> Resetting BMC....
>>
>> The machine reboots itself again, and I see the same message the second
>> time around. It reboots itself again.
>>
>> This time, it can't find my local disk:
>>
>> Reboot and Select proper Boot device
>> or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key
>>
>> I issue a reset, then everything seems to be fine from here.
>>
>> /./-> reset /system1/console1
>> System1 reset.
>>
>> /./-> start /system1/console1
>> (boots to the OS)
>>

>> Is this normal, or is this related to the warning about IMC being
>> detected?
>>

> This seems normal for the HP DL165 G7. In general, Flashrom does not know
> about vendor-specific BMCs. I guess that the BMC configuration is stored on
> the same ROM as the BIOS, so flashing the .ROM file provided by HP wipes it
> out and the BMC must be re-configured.
>
> --
> David Hendricks (dhendrix)
> Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.

Thanks for your response. It does seem normal. I was able to replicate this
consistently -- only happens when downgrading from a higher ROM version. I
don't know what's exactly going on, but what happens is that after a
reboot, it downgrades the "BMC SDRR", resets the BMC, updates it again to
the previous version (what it was before), and finally resets the BMC for
the second time.

root# dmidecode -t bios

# dmidecode 2.11
SMBIOS 2.7 present.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
        Vendor: HP
        Version: O37
        Release Date: 10/17/2012
        Address: 0xF0000
        Runtime Size: 64 kB
        ROM Size: 4096 kB

root# flashrom -p internal:amd_imc_force=yes -w
/var/tmp/2012.07.27.A-O37_0727.ROM -c MX25L3206E

(reboot)

Detect a Unsame SDRR/Configuration Image in Current BIOS
BMC SDRR Version : 2.37.0.98      -->      2.33.1.226
Erasing Sectors  Done!
Uploading SDRR: 100%
Uploading Configuration: 100%
Update SDRR/Configuration Image successfully
Resetting BMC.

Detect a Unsame SDRR/Configuration Image in Current BIOS
BMC SDRR Version : 2.33.1.226      -->      2.37.0.98
Erasing Sectors  Done!
Uploading SDRR: 100%
Uploading Configuration: 100%
Update SDRR/Configuration Image successfully
Resetting BMC.

(... normal boot up follows)

I don't know why it does this, but I think I should be asking HP.

Regards,
Marc