[flashrom] MS-7030 Mainboard won't program BIOS chip model other than oryginal

san san at plusnet.pl
Fri Oct 18 14:43:36 CEST 2013

Hi!

2013/10/18 Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at>

> On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 13:21:44 +0200
> san <san at plusnet.pl> wrote:
>
> > Ok, case closed.
> >
> > Found answer here: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=95357.0
> >
> > quoting:
> > The difference between SST49LF004A and SST49LF004B is that the 4B version
> > supports LPC / FWH Flashing, 4A version can not handle this.
> >
> > I knew SOMETHING about this, but thought it is not my case.
>
> yes, very likely.
>
> > By the way, is it possible to add bios chip information (type) to support
> > list?
>
> What do you mean exactly? The interface type is noted in the wiki table
> as well as in the output of flashrom -L. For the chip in question on
> that nforce2 board i think it would not make any difference anyway if
> you would modify the bustype field in flashchips.c.

when we type flashrom -L, we get:

MSI             MS-6787 (P4MAM-V/P4MAM-L)          OK      msi:ms6787
MSI             MS-7005 (651M-L)                   OK      (autodetected)
MSI             MS-7025 (K8N Neo2 Platinum)        OK      (autodetected)
MSI             MS-7046                            OK      (autodetected)
MSI             MS-7061 (KM4M-V/KM4AM-V)           OK      (autodetected)

i was thinking about adding column about packing/type of bios memory ie:

MSI    MS-7030   OK   (autodetect) PLCC32/LPC

or even some comments about this one. or link to report (this should be
enought readable.
in my case, i was looking for motherboard to program exactly one type chip.
it is not easy to look for mobo photos on google to find out which type the
chip is.

and in this case - i found plcc32 but wrong type.

> > And how about 'soldering' write-enable? As in last link i found there is
> > pad (#23) called "Write Enable". It might be possible to cut off this
> line
> > from motherboard solder 'programmable voltage', and program bioses on
> > not-enabled mainboards. Is that correct?
>
> In theory that is possible, but normally the pin is connected to a
> software-controlled pin (GPIO pin of the southbridge for example), and
> you are way better off controlling that pin with flashrom (a
> so-called board enable), than physically modifying a board.

i do prefer using flashrom's control - its easy and fun ;)
but with my mobos (as i reported few not working and being ready to help
find out how to enable it*)
i dont really care about them - it can be damaged throught this proccess or
not.
so i can try if it is impossible to 'enable' it.

*i can give You access throught ssh and leave those pc's powered on - but
it is for another topic.

> --
> Kind regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Stefan Tauner

once again
thanks for responses and sorry for my pour english.

Cherry lollipops
and best regards!

--
[ e-San.info | San at plusnet.pl ]