[flashrom] M25P16, erase (ok) and write (not ok)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 18 10:11:58 CEST 2013

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:30:11 +0200
Raven <originalraven at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have tried to stabilize the Vcc with an additional Capacitor and cut
> the cables (to minimize the length), but with no luck.
>
> I'm not sure if the Flash is really broken. Maybe the Programmer has a
> Problem (is unstable).
> Sometimes the arduino "locks up" and i have to unplug and plug the USB
> again. :-\

I think that is a known issue with the usb to serial
converter of arduino unos. The converter is just another atmel
microcontroller (ATMega<8, 16 or 32>U2), so the issue could potentially
be fixed with a newer firmware... I dont know any details though. "Denis
'GNUtoo' Carikli" <GNUtoo at no-log.org> might know more. I have put him
in CC but he does not have a lot of time lately.

> Also tried with the parameter "spispeed=xx" but same (bad) results.
>
> I have an AT45DB011B chip here, but unfortunately this chip is
> unsupported. :-(
> Not sure what the difference between the "B" and the "D" is.

The early AT45DB chips (<no suffix>, A, B revisions) do not support any
identification opcodes so flashrom can not detect them at all (and I
skipped adding dedicated support for them). I have never seen a user
reporting one... maybe it works with "-c AT45DB011D -f" but I doubt
it: most chips of the AT45DB family can switch between two major modes
which change the observed address layout. Many of them indicate that in
their status register... the early revisions do not (at least it is not
documented in the datasheet)... the code for AT45DB011D is not designed
to handle that correctly I think... so at least please do not try to
erase/write if the chips contain something useful. :)

> But if i have time i try it with a AT45DB161D, this chip should be
> supported.

The AT45DB161D is completely tested already, so there is no need to
test it again from our side.

> I try to do some tests with other chips, let's see if it works.

Good/better luck! ;)