[flashrom] acer c7 can't read or write

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Sun Oct 13 01:22:35 CEST 2013

Hello Johnny,
The version of flashrom which you are using is most likely encountering
problems writing over portions of the ROM which is locked by the PCH
management engine. Even if hardware write-protection is disabled, software
running on the host CPU cannot access regions which are locked by the
management engine.

We have a workaround implemented in the version of flashrom that ships with
ChromeOS/ChromiumOS -- Basically it will ignore the portions of the ROM
which the management engine locks. You can checkout the latest version here:
git clone https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/flashrom

It's kind of strange that the touchpad didn't work... I haven't tried
Ubuntu on the C7 personally, but I know others who have put other distros
such as Arch on it without issues. It uses the standard PS/2 keyboard/mouse
interface IIRC.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Stefan Tauner <
stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 14:33:34 -0700
> Johnny Bazookatone <blanka.buranka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So I managed to flash my chromebook with a Coreboot Seabios payload by
> > following this tutorial
> >
> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eGPMu03vCxIO0a3oNX8Hmij_Qwwz6R6ViFC_1HlHOYQ/mobilepresent?pli=1#slide=id.gf4036fef_045
> >
> > I managed to install Ubuntu 12.04 using my flash drive.... and became
> very
> > dissapointed that my touchpad didn't work.. So I tried to recompile stock
> > firmware and tried to use flashrom within Ubuntu to go back...but I can't
> > seem to get it to write... So am I going to have to buy a bus pirate to
> > reflash??
>
> I think you just need to use google's fork of flashrom. Unfortunately
> both branches of flashrom diverged quite a bit since then...
>
> --
> Kind regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Stefan Tauner

David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.