[flashrom] Script for collecting flashrom compatibility with motherboards

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri May 31 00:32:22 CEST 2013

On Sun, 05 May 2013 20:08:26 +0600
Alexey Vazhnov <vazhnov at inbox.ru> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Perhaps we can check many hardware for compatibility with Linux.
> Condition: test must be fast, so no manual intervention. So now I
> prepare some PXE images for collect hardware information. How do I
> collect maximum information about motherboards chips compatible with
> flashrom? Currently I see only one variant — write motherboard name with
> «flashrom -r /dev/null» stdout.

Hello Alexey,

the only really relevant test is to write to a board (read out the
current contents, erase the chip, write the backup again). That is
always putting the board at risk and I would not advise anybody to do
this especially not in an automated fashion just to test flashrom
compatibility.

One other useful test would be to detect untested flash chips. But
again at least for erasing and writing there is always a risk and for
probing/reading doing automated tests is rather a waste of time IMHO.