[flashrom] Intel C602 support

Ross Amans ross.amans at sanmina.com
Wed Mar 13 20:09:45 CET 2013

Stefan -
Updating the ME and Descriptor region is occasionally needed. Typically
once per product. I say this from experience, as I own this on a Sandy
Bridge / Ivy bridge product.
Ross

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Stefan Tauner <
stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:15:32 +0000
> Greg Schardt <gschardt at ddn.com> wrote:
>
> > I have modified the flashrom code to allow reads and writes to
> unprotected regions to occur, but am still blocked by having the ME region
> locked. Do you have any idea how the AFUDOS utility is able to modify the
> Management Engine region even though it should be locked? I would have
> thought that the Region Access Control settings would be in effect once the
> BIOS finished booting, before DOS could start. According to documentation,
> asserting HDA_SDO is the only way to override these settings, do you think
> that is the mechanism being used?
>
> AFAIK updating the ME directly is not possible if the locks are
> enabled (HDA_SDO is one way to disable them but that does not work
> after boot either). The ME probably is able to update itself and there
> is probably an interface for the host to transfer an image to it, but
> that's speculation. Are you sure afudos changes the ME region at all?
>
> AFAIK updating the ME (region) is not always needed. The problem is we
> do not know if this is true in all cases...
> --
> Kind regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Stefan Tauner

Ross Amans
Systems Engineer
Newisys div of Sanmina
5385 Mark Dabling blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
719-884-8714 (work)
719-287-4446 (cell)

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail message and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any prints thereof.
ABSENT AN EXPRESS STATEMENT TO THE CONTRARY HEREINABOVE, THIS E-MAIL IS NOT INTENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR A WRITING.  Notwithstanding the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or the applicability of any other law of similar substance and effect, absent an express statement to the contrary hereinabove, this e-mail message its contents, and any attachments hereto are not intended to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not otherwise intended to bind the sender, Sanmina Corporation (or any of its subsidiaries), or any other person or entity.