[flashrom] [x60s] flashrom compilation failing upon patching

Tomasz Ostaszewski tomasz.ostaszewski at interia.pl
Wed Jun 26 09:07:34 CEST 2013

(and now to the group)
Well, to my knowledge you cannot simply apply a patch from patchwork
to flashrom and expect it to work flawlessly with your x60s. Some of
them come with MX25L flash chip, others with SST25VF016B (mine does).

So it is really down to dissecting your laptop into pieces, extracting
mobo, fliping it processor side up and looking for a flash chip. On
mine x60s, it was located near the chip with LENOVO marking and
Toshiba EC. It was the one with a paper sticker. Do not try to tear it
off. Instead, try rubbing it with an ear stick dipped into alcohol
(ear stick not the chip). The purpose of all those chores is to get
the markings from the flash chip.

It is a bit simpler if you have a SOIC-8 clip and SPI programmer. Most
of them can detect the chip flawlessly. But still, dismembering a
laptop to pieces is a necessity.

Once you know your chip, you can modify flashrom. Which is of no
purpose really if again, you happen to have a SPI programmer & SOIC
clip - then you just flash the coreboot. If, however, you want to do a
hot flash using an internal programmer, then follow the notes at
http://www.coreboot.org/Lenovo_x60x

What the coreboot TWIKI does not tell you is that you need '-f'
(force) and '-c' (flashchip) options enabled. Also '-p
internal:laptop=force_I_want_
a_brick' may be necessary.

So really, it would be wiser to use a programmer, backup your bios,
and then do experiments with coreboot. This is what I did. And yes, I
am writing it from a coreboot equipped x60s, flashed today...

t.