[flashrom] A quick hack to support AMD Family 16h SOC

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jul 26 23:31:52 CEST 2013

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:28:48 -0700
Wei Hu <wei at aristanetworks.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:18 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> >> I'll give you modified patch a test tomorrow.
> >
> > Please note that I expect problems with my patch. Not all of the FIFO
> > management has been changed, and this might be the cause of error
> > messages. Updated patch with more debugging at the end of this mail.
>
> After changing the device ID to match 0x780e, your patch works for
> both reading and writing. Writing is extremely slow though. I feel
> like on this new FCH we should ditch the SB600 interface and
> investigate the new programming interface. My current patch is more
> like a band aid workaround.

I plan to do that but for now it would be better than nothing, *but*
this will break Hudson-2... I talked to Martin Roth from sage and he
confirmed that although AMD changed PCI IDs with Hudson-1 the
interface did only really change with Kabini/Temash.

That explains also why Hudson-2 worked fine previously:
http://marc.info/?l=flashrom&m=131853263731000
Wang Qing Pei has tested his Hudson patch too probably before sending
it to us but I don't know which system he used exactly.

I'll try to get the Hudson-2 datasheets, but ATM I don't have them.
We need a way to distinguish Kabini from the rest... since it is a SoC,
we could match the pci ids of the root complex
(00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 16h
Processor Root Complex [1022:1536] in my case), but we would need to
maintain that for future models... Martin told me that they just read
if the new registers are (non-)0xff and infer from that if they need to
use the new interface.