[flashrom] New development guidelines after 0.9.7

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jul 20 02:11:55 CEST 2013

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:35:14 -0700
David Hendricks <dhendrix at google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 4:31 AM, Stefan Tauner <
> stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
> > I think it is a bit sad that almost all discussion in this thread is
> > focused on the VCS to use and not about the guidelines. Apparently
> > emotions regarding the tools are much more intense than about the
> > created work.
> >

> Maybe it's a sign?
>
> (Hint: re-read *all* the stuff you wrote, and then reconsider what Marc
> said about automation)

It certainly is a sign of frustration, but if I look at coreboot
reviews I would even feel vindicated that the tools are not so
important and one needs to set some rules, because frankly speaking...
the coreboot review process has become pretty crappy lately AFAICS (but
I am not that involved, maybe it was always like that). Things like
Peter's patch that got merged although he did not want that and that he
reverted afterwards etc. are a clear sign that there are some missing
rules IMHO :)

And, even if we would switch to gerrit and git, I don't see how that
would influence the guidelines I proposed very much. Yes, maybe there
would be more reviewing and that would ease the problem of endless
patch queues, but that would just be the same uncontrolled process -
just faster.

So while I recognize the wish for changing tools, the pain would not go
away just by switching them and we should discuss the process
nevertheless :)