[flashrom] New development guidelines after 0.9.7

Antonio Ospite ospite at studenti.unina.it
Fri Jul 19 11:18:25 CEST 2013

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 23:11:08 +0200
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

[...]
> <rant>
> Because I think git sucks? I might be open for a switch to mercurial
> because it has usable revision numbers and a user-friendly interface.

Sorry, just 2 (flaming?) cents from a random lurker who likes flashrom:

The "problem" with git is that it throws its design and implementation
right at your face, Linus-style; however, after you struggle a bit and
make a vague idea of how it works internally the interface becomes a
lot easier to get; and then you become an over-confident zealot, sure,
but the Stockholm syndrome is a different problem :)

Anyways, from the point of view of a possible external contributor I
just can't stand SVN, it does NOT differentiate between the Author and
the Committer of a change, so authors external to the project are not
recorded explicitly in the project history and one has to rely to
workarounds like the Signed-off-by line (which by the way in linux has
the very specific meaning of "I accept the Developer Certificate of
Origin[1]", its not just to name the author[s]).

[1] http://elinux.org/Developer_Certificate_Of_Origin

That means that just to list all my contributions I have to parse commit
messages, if I am lucky; not pretty.

>From the point of view of a possible external contributor any system
which allows to differentiate explicitly between the author and
the committer of a change is fine :)

A plus being an easy workflow to export/import and send patches with
authorship information preserved.

> But git... without a command line and the right tree, I'll never know if
> commit hash deadbeef is before or after badc0ffe. Besides that, I
> managed to learn mercurial in a few hours and gave up on git after a few
> days.

About serializing history: there are _tags_ for fixing points in time
and given how cheap they are in git, you can have as many as you want;
however in a distributed scenario sequential ids do not _always_ make
sense, do they?

And really, in a copy/paste world do we still care about human readable
ids for everything?

Going back to read-mode, sorry for the noise.

Regards,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite