[flashrom] New development guidelines after 0.9.7

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Jul 18 23:11:08 CEST 2013

Am 18.07.2013 19:15 schrieb Marc Jones:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Stefan Tauner <
> stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
>> Our current development model with elaborate reviews has not been
>> working for a while now. Therefore, beginning with the release of
>> flashrom 0.9.7 our strategy on merging patches will change radically.
>>
>> The current rules regarding committing to subversion can be found here:
>> http://flashrom.org/Development_Guidelines#Committing
>> Essentially they prohibit merging non-trivial patches without explicit
>> consent from another community member and is not too specific on the
>> requirements for an ack.
>>
> Not to add undue overhead to the project, but why not go to git and gerrit?
> Automates a lot of this stuff and is already setup on coreboot.org.

<rant>
Because I think git sucks? I might be open for a switch to mercurial
because it has usable revision numbers and a user-friendly interface.
But git... without a command line and the right tree, I'll never know if
commit hash deadbeef is before or after badc0ffe. Besides that, I
managed to learn mercurial in a few hours and gave up on git after a few
days.
And gerrit needs known insecure OpenID for authentication. I'm not going
to get any OpenID capable account just to satisfy a defective login
mechanism. Apart from that, it seems gerrit pretty much killed all patch
discussion on the coreboot mailing list. It also was pretty much
unsuitable for offline use (no idea if that changed). While those
properties may work for coreboot development (with very infrequent
contributions/reviews by outsiders), I fear it will introduce an
additional barrier for flashrom.
</rant>