[flashrom] 2009 era -L output

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jan 19 03:29:32 CET 2013

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:05:09 -0700
"Robert S. Done, Ph.D." <rdone at cox.net> wrote:

> FREG0: WARNING: Flash Descriptor region (0x00000000-0x00000fff) is read-only.
> FREG2: WARNING: Management Engine region (0x00001000-0x005f5fff) is locked.
> PR0: WARNING: 0x007e0000-0x01ffffff is read-only.
> PR4: WARNING: 0x005f8000-0x005fffff is locked.

It's a bit complicated... access to the flash chip is locked down by
the chipset. This can not be circumvented easily (you do not own an
external flash programmer i presume?).
'locked' means neither write nor read access. The hex numbers are the
address ranges involved.
If the parts you want to modify are inside the writeable area then
flashrom can be used by adding a few patches which were not committed
to our repository yet. Without them flashrom can only do partial writes
(but not reads which is needed to be any useful in this case).

The patches can be found here:
http://patchwork.coreboot.org/user/bundle/37/
They are most probably outdated and wont apply to the current code, but
you can either apply them to the old revision or ask me to update them
if you really want to continue (there is probably a bit of additional
work to do and things to learn for you if you are not familiar with
software management etc).

PS: I told you to use -VV. That would be way more verbose and show you
and me the complete configuration (i.a. the address range of the BIOS
region which probably contains the computrace stuff).