[flashrom] 2009 era -L output

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jan 16 00:07:26 CET 2013

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:00:29 -0700
"Robert S. Done, Ph.D." <rdone at cox.net> wrote:

> Short version: I am trying to reset/remove Computrace in a Lenovo T500
> laptop. If you have a solution, please share.

interesting :)

> 2) The script also seems to rely on a specific format of the -L
> output. See the line in def dumpTheHardWay(): if line.find("chipsets")>0:
> The output file is created, but the subsequent loop to parse the chip list
> does not find "chipsets".

you can get rid of the hardway method entirely without a big hit in
functionality IMHO. if flashrom can not detect the flash chip itself it
is very unlikely to succeed. the exception are some boards with SPI
flashes and intel chipset where the manufacturer decided to disable the
most useful ID commands (thinkpad X60, T60 etc.). as you seem to need
it, i guess the t500 is affected by this too? can you please post the
verbose output of flashrom on that machine?
flashrom -p internal:laptop=... -VV

(fully) parsing the -L output of a current flashrom binary will be a
pain. we do line funky line breaks nowadays. it is also just wrong.
anyway, please see the attached version that works at least for those
chips that are not broken up into multiple lines.

fun fact: software by a security firm that does not check against OOB
array accesses :)