[flashrom] Bypassing the size check

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Feb 15 15:18:19 CET 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 21:55:50 -0800
Jason Craik <jason.c7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to downgrade the bios on my Asus P8Z77-v LK motherboard and am
> using a dos version of your program to try and do it. When I try and
> reflash with the old .rom file it gives me an error about having two
> different size files. I'm wondering if theres a way to just bypass that
> check and force write the old .rom file onto the chip.

Hello Jason,

there is no command line switch to do this and there is no reason to do
this in any sane use case either. How did you obtain the "old .rom
file"? Obviously not by reading it with flashrom because then it would
have the correct size. Also, P8Z77 sounds like a locked down board...
please send a verbose log. I assume you have obtained an image of
*the BIOS region only* by other means and want to write it to *the BIOS
region only*... if you really know what you are doing, please take a
look at the documentation of the layout file in the manpage and think
about how you want to recover if something goes wrong. ;)