[flashrom] Fwd: BIOS Write Enable bit problem.

Rich Futyma rich.futyma at sanmina.com
Mon Feb 11 16:30:06 CET 2013

Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. I guess this is where the security and the open
source
stand against each other :).
----
rich

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM, Andrew Goodbody <ajg4tadpole at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 10/02/13 00:45, Rich Futyma wrote:
>
>> Would happen to know which linux driver handles this interrupt?
>>

> SMM code is loaded into SMRAM during BIOS POST. Then the access to SMRAM
> is locked so that SMRAM is only visible when an SMI is active. The CPU
> cannot access SMRAM when no SMI is active. The CPU immediately starts to
> execute code from SMRAM once it receives the SMI.
> There is no Linux code involved, this is all initialised before any OS
> code is loaded.
>
>  Also, do you know where is this "correct handshake" described? It seems
>> that once bit 1 is set it can only be cleared by the reset.
>>

> No. This handshake is not public knowledge AFAIK. It would not be much of
> a protection mechanism if everyone, including the virus writers, knew how
> to bypass it. I would expect the handshake to involve cryptography as well.
>
> Andrew

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail message and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any prints thereof.
ABSENT AN EXPRESS STATEMENT TO THE CONTRARY HEREINABOVE, THIS E-MAIL IS NOT INTENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR A WRITING.  Notwithstanding the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or the applicability of any other law of similar substance and effect, absent an express statement to the contrary hereinabove, this e-mail message its contents, and any attachments hereto are not intended to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not otherwise intended to bind the sender, Sanmina Corporation (or any of its subsidiaries), or any other person or entity.