[flashrom] a serious problem to solve

Idwer Vollering vidwer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 23:18:56 CET 2013

2013/2/8 Henry Blanco Lores <hblanco2009 at gmail.com>:
> Hello guys, I have subscribed to this mailing list looking for some help
> about the use of the flashrom tool.
> The problem is this:
>
> A friend of mine who has just started using Linux, was testing some tools
> and not reading carefully their corresponding manuals, he executed this
> command: flashrom -r
>
> and this seems to have erased the BIOS of his PC. This is my guess because
> he just told me by phone that not even the video signal was working. His
> motherboard is an ASUS P5GC. Is it possible to recover the BIOS back to the
> previous state??

The above command, 'flashrom -r', will not erase a flash chip. Have
your friend either power cycle his machine or remove the mainboard
battery (CMOS reset) with mains disconnected.

Given the fact that the parameter '-p internal' was not used, he was
using an old version of flashrom, version 0.9.3 or older.