[flashrom] Annotate disabled features in manpage

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Aug 27 02:10:21 CEST 2013

Am 25.08.2013 16:55 schrieb Stefan Tauner:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:40:02 +0200
> Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
>> btw i was thinking about using some kind of preprocessor to mark
>> features in the man page that are not compiled in the "current"
>> configuration. groff may be even able to handle it itself, but using
>> the cpp seems like an option too. not sure if clang would handle it
>> correctly without printing unwanted output though...
>>
>> the basic idea is that features that are not compiled in get a note or
>> warning in the man page to make clear that there is such a feature, but
>> that it is currently disabled. what do you think?
> Since we'll generate the manpage soon anyway... any opinions on the idea
> above?

I'd rather not do that.
If a user specifies a disabled programmer, he/she will get a useful
error message anyway, and flashrom --help does helpfully list all
supported programmers. We could indicate that in the man page, but other
than that I'd rather have every existing programmer driver documented in
the man page. That way users will see all flashrom features even if the
system vendor has decided to disable some feature.

http://www.hailfinger.org/