[flashrom] Annotate disabled features in manpage

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Mon Aug 26 14:34:49 CEST 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 04:55:02PM +0200, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:40:02 +0200
> Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
> > btw i was thinking about using some kind of preprocessor to mark
> > features in the man page that are not compiled in the "current"
> > configuration. groff may be even able to handle it itself, but using
> > the cpp seems like an option too. not sure if clang would handle it
> > correctly without printing unwanted output though...
> >
> > the basic idea is that features that are not compiled in get a note or
> > warning in the man page to make clear that there is such a feature, but
> > that it is currently disabled. what do you think?
>
> Since we'll generate the manpage soon anyway... any opinions on the idea
> above?

I'm not too happy with that idea, as binary and manpage are not always
installed in sync (I that this is a user/admin error, but still).
How about adding this to the --help output: At the very bottom:
"Disabled features: ...." and reference that in the manpage or add
it to the manpage but add a sentence like 'To be sure, run "flashrom --help"
and check the section "Disabled features"'.

Ciao
     Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer at loplof.de>