[flashrom] MX25U1635E (on OLPC XO-4 B1) with flashrom r1657

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Aug 26 00:37:41 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 02:24:56PM +0200, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:15:33 +0100
> Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:12:43 +1100
> > James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> >
> > > G'day,
> > >
> > > I'm an Open Firmware developer working for One Laptop per Child.
> > >
> > > We have used the MX25U3235E chip in revision B1 of our XO-4 design,
> > > and I am trying to use flashrom (r1657) with a Bus Pirate to read from
> > > a chip.
> > > […]
>
> Hi James!
>
> You have never reported back. Have you found the problem?

No, sorry.

There were problems with the two lab-bench level shifters constructed,
our existing Open Firmware based programming tools were hindered by
the level shifter problems, and we had changed from that 1.8V chip to
a 3.3V chip in the next revision of the motherboard.

The task began to take too long, and was abandoned, and the bricked B1
placed in the discard pile.

For brick recovery of our later revision boards for XO-4, we use Open
Firmware on an XO-1.5 (x86), and have documented that here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/SPI_FLASH_Recovery/XO-4

(Normally the motherboard is self-reflashing, with Open Firmware on
the host CPU rewriting the chip via SPI.)

CC: because I've since unsubscribed.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/