[flashrom] Sanity check before attempting to flash BIOS

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Aug 23 01:17:36 CEST 2013

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:21:14 -0500
Michael Gardner <gardnermj at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to update the BIOS of an MSI Z87-G43 board, and I'm wondering if there's anything in the output of flashrom (below) that I should be worried about. In particular, there's the "SPI Configuration Lockdown" message, and the fact that the flash chip is referred to as "Opaque".
>
> Basically, would it be unwise to attempt to flash this BIOS with flashrom?

the lockdown just means we are not allowed to change the configuration,
but usually we can handle what is there already.
the opaque flash chip is a result of the (locked) configuration too...
but because there are no other warnings you might actually be lucky and
it would work. ;) be sure to use the right input file though and make a
backup of the flash contents first. gl