[flashrom] Invalid OPCODE 0x9f

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 7 16:48:54 CEST 2013

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:42:40 +0400
Vasiliy Vylegzhanin <6vasia at gmail.com> wrote:

> And I failed. There are some (modified?) phoenix flash tools, but they
> refuse to flash the same BIOS version.
> I've added W25x64 REMS ID and tried to flash it. Somehow flashrom managed
> to erase whole chip and yes, it failed to write @0x00580000.
> Is there any way to write write-protected regions on W25X64? I really don't
> want to desolder it, and I can't reboot cause BB is erased.
> Write log attached.

Hello Vasiliy,

there are no write-protected regions that are specific to the flash
chip, it all depends on the Intel chipset configuration only (i.e. the
same would have happened with another flash chip).

TBH I dont totally grasp your log. Your overall analysis seems to be
correct though: the erase opcode might have got through. I wonder what
your changes are exactly. Can you please post your patch? I also wonder
how your images look like. If you can please upload them to
http://paste.flashrom.org (they will be password protected there
because we are not allowed to redistribute vendor images of course...)