[flashrom] Added chipsets

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Apr 12 15:03:13 CEST 2013

> On Apr 12, 2013 1:42 AM, "Николай Николаев" <evrinoma at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> i think if the flashrom wiki page to give the link on chip documentation
> that It will be great decision to avoid problem with name chip and
> searching documentations.

the problem is that most flash chip datasheets are not available (any
longer) from the original manufacturer and that we can not host them on
our own (although there might be some legal loopholes to do so, this is
pretty much out of question). maintaining a list to somewhat stable
manufacturer sites is a lot of work. i know that because i am mostly the
one who maintains the mainboard links. maintaining a list of links
to other sources like alldatasheets.com or whatever will be even more
work because they change URLs or become otherwise defunct is even more
frequently. if someone wants to do this feel free to create a wikipage
for it, i certainly will not.

the solution that has worked in the past is: naming the revision of
datasheets and source links in reviews and patches, especially in cases
of ambiguity; and if the datasheets are not available anymore one can
share them privately without a huge legal risk.