[flashrom] Test report for multiple SPI flash chips on serprog with UNTESTED status

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Apr 2 20:40:39 CEST 2013

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 00:11:11 +0800
Chi Zhang <zhangchi866 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The programmer is my newly built serprog with STM32 MCU. Please refer to
> https://github.com/dword1511/serprog-stm32vcp .

Nice stuff :) What was the motivation for that project?
Should we add it to http://flashrom.org/Serprog ?

> These flash chips are first bought to test the programmer rather than flashrom
> itself :) The programmer has been verified by me with a commercial CH341A-based
> programmer, and a few bricks as well :)
>
> Some performance information about flashrom with these chips can be found at:
> https://github.com/dword1511/serprog-stm32vcp/blob/master/PERFORMANCE
> (btw, SST25VF040B is really slow at writing! Is it supposed to be this slow?)

I think the problem is the AAI write mode. It requires a lot of tiny
communication steps and this is were serprog, CDC and USB are really bad
at... (long round trip times).

> The pasted logs are organized in probe-write-read-erase sequences.
>
> AT25F512A: http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1569
Added to my tested_stuff branch.

> AT26DF161A: http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1570
That one needs some further analysis:
"Some block protection in effect, disabling... Block protection could
not be disabled!"

> EN25F05: http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1571
Added to my tested_stuff branch.

> MX25L12845E(mistaken as 'MX25L12805(D)'):
> http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1572
Macronix really likes to share IDs... we need to look at the 45 series
more closely.

> Pm25LV010A: http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1573
Added to my "Refine PMC Pm25LV series" patch.
http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/3926/

You probably want to take a look at this patch too as it adds support
for the Pm25LD512C you have in your performance file:
http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/3925/

> SST25VF040B: http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1574
> SST25VF040B with REMS: http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1575
> M25P05-A: http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1576
All added to my tested_stuff branch.

Also, there exists a patch set that adds support for the AT45DB161D,
but we have not decided if we want to go with that implementation.
See http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/3873/ etc.

The two sanyo chips are completely unsupported yet I think...

Thanks a lot for your effort!