[flashrom] Improving pcidev.c

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 4 12:14:11 CEST 2012

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:27:47 +0200
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> Ping?
>
> IMHO this patch fixes a few structural problems, and although it
> probably isn't the final desired result, it is a step in the right
> direction.

After my short adventure into trying to understand the PCI code while
refining the atavia patch by Jonathan, i have to agree 100% with
Michael's first mail regarding the old code base.

Something that hasn't been mentioned (or i have missed) is that there
are some drivers that don't need a BAR at all because they work by
accessing the configuration space only. atavia is one case (at least i
think so). and satasii is even more special as it needs different BARs
for different PCI IDs, but you are aware of that afaics.

I still don't have a complete overview on how all pcidev_init
callers work, but the current patch seems to improve things and hence
should go in ASAP (you can read that as an ACK if you think it is safe).

Since you touch all pcidev_init calls in this patch, it would be great
if you could switch the parameters though. The PCI dev table should be
first since it is the most important argument and the bar should IMHO
even be optional in the future or some kind of flag/mask as you
discussed... that argument apparently confused not only me but also
Jonathan and Idwer in the past.
A comment explaining the parameters would certainly improve the
situation too (e.g. mention that the bar parameter is not the number of
the BAR!).