[flashrom] Flashing Jetway J7F4K9G2 bios

Edwin Wijburg erw at wijburg-en-kremer.nl
Sun Sep 2 21:01:30 CEST 2012

Yesterday I contacted you via IRC because of a possible flash failure on my
Jetway J7F4K9G2 motherboard. Luckily the error was not severe as a --verify
confirmed an intact bios (thanks again for the online help!).
I used an old flashrom version from the Debian squeeze repositories and was
advised to upgrade to at least the version in testing.
I compiled from source.

What I am trying (off course) is to ascertain if my bios can be flashed
with flashrom. I do have the latest bios for this board but it was
cumbersome to make a flash usb stick with freedos, fiddle with the bios
settings to get my board to boot the stick, well, you know ....... (why
else flashrom?)

Your wiki-list shows one Jetway family member that works with flashrom (the
J7F4K1G5D-PB). I'd like to be able to tell you mine works with it as well
(so it can be added to the list).

Now, when I probe the motherboard flashrom tells me that it has two
flashchips (the old flashrom didn't do that). Which one is the one to use?
I've included the flashrom's output for the probe and read actions on the
respective chips.
The motherboard has in fact two NIC biosses as well. But I didn't compile
with external programmers so I imagine the probe then should not find those?

In the wiki you clearly state that testing an erase and write should only
be done when I have an alternative bios chip at hand. And I don't. Should I
stop the experimenting alltogether or are there other ways to find out if
chances are good that my board will be flashable?

Edwin.