[flashrom] add Numonyx/Micron N25Q128

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Oct 15 07:56:12 CEST 2012

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 07:14:15 +0200
Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 14:51:15 +0200
> frederic.temporelli at bull.net wrote:
>
> > Numonyx/Micron N25Q128 is used on new X9 motherboards from Supermicro (X9DRT, ...)
> >
> > Specs are availbale on Micron WWW site:
> > http://www.micron.com/~/media/Documents/Products/Data%20Sheet/NOR%20Flash/Serial%20NOR/N25Q/N25Q_128_3_Volt_with_boot_sector.pdf
> >
> > Following patch add this chip to flashrom. Probe is OK.
> > Due to Manageability Engine, some work is required before being able to test READ/ERASE/WRITE...
> > […]

> hello and thanks for your patch!
> this chip is a bit complicated and we cant merge the patch as it is.
> they have used the same plane RDID for multiple variants of the chip.
> some attributes are not important for flashrom and can be ignored, but
> some are very important, namely the boot sector layout. quote from p.52:
>
> > The N25Q128 is available in the following architecture versions:
> > Bottom version, 64 KB uniform sectors plus 8 bottom boot sectors (each with 16
> > subsectors),
> > Top version, 64 KB uniform sectors plus 8 top boot sectors (each with 16 subsectors)
> > Uniform version, 64 KB uniform sectors without any boot sectors and subsectors.
>
> the good news is that this differences can be detected by an extended
> RDID command in its 5th byte (1 manufacturer, 2 device, 1 length of the
> following extended data, the first EDID byte we want), see table 15.
> of this 5th byte we need to look at the first two bits to determine the
> architecture, see table 16.
>
> our current infrastructure (probe_spi_rdid_generic) cant handle that,
> but should... so we will plan a change, but please dont expect it to
> happen too soon.

A patch exists now that adds this functionality, but it is not merged
yet.

> the bad news is that i am not even sure if the subsector erase commands
> work as flashrom expects. flashrom wants to use the same erase opcode
> for the hole address space, even for non-uniform layouts. this usually
> works fine, but afaics it is not specified in the datasheet what
> happens if one uses the subsector erase opcode on a non-subsector *on
> devices that actually have subsectors* (the emphasis stems from the
> fact that it *is* defined, that the subsector erase command is ignore
> by the uniform model: "Any Subsector Erase (SSE) instruction in devices
> with uniform architecture (meaning no boot sectors with subsectors) is
> rejected without having any effects on the device." (p. 98).

I missed a bit in the old datasheet (rev. 7 from may 2011) previously:
"subsector erase (SSE) instruction (only available on the 8 boot
sectors at the bottom or top addressable area of a device with a
dedicated part number)" (p. 24). We still don't know what would happen
exactly, but certainly not what we would like to.

And there is a new datasheet (rev. L from June 12 [1]) that does specify
uniform layouts only, but all of them actually *do* include 4 kB
subsectors. Also there is a uniform version with 1.8V VCC now[2].

So we have different options, besides asking micron how we could
differentiate them or get innovative and check available opcodes…:
- disable the 4 kB erasers on all chips to avoid any scary messages
  (down side: 64 kB minimum erase resolution instead of 4 kB;
  advantage: we could merge all three 3V versions into one).
- enable (some of) them and hope no user gets a stroke :)

My current updated (but unpublished) patch disables the 4kB erasers
completely, but keeps all 3 distinct 3V versions as separate entries.

> […]
> regarding the ME: […]

Do you have any news regarding this Frederic?

[1]: http://www.micron.com/~/media/Documents/Products/Data%20Sheet/NOR%20Flash/Serial%20NOR/N25Q/n25q_128mb_3v_65nm.pdf
[2]: http://www.micron.com/~/media/Documents/Products/Data%20Sheet/NOR%20Flash/Serial%20NOR/N25Q/n25q_128mb_1_8v_65nm.pdf