[flashrom] verbose log of unsupported mainboard Foxconn Q45M

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Oct 1 16:15:53 CEST 2012

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 15:42:40 +0200
"Mendler, Marc (STL)" <Marc.Mendler at stala.bwl.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thank you for your hint! With fpt.exe i was able to copy the whole bios with all settings to another machine. The correct syntax for dumping the bios is "fpt.exe -d filename.ext -bios".

how is that different to what you did before, described by you like
this:
>>> thanks for your fast reply! I tried the DOS version of fpt.exe. With it i was able to save the bios to an image file and restore it on another computer, but the configured settings are lost (bad checksum, load default values, etc.)

what did you do differently?

> The only thing i don't like about this solution is, that you have to "flash" the whole bios (not only the "cmos" memory) on the target machine. This can be dangerous for mass deployment in case of a power failure or something like that...
> Is there a chance to read only the "cmos" when i know the correct register and adress ranges (with flashrom)?

flashrom operates on the flash memory only. if the data you need to
copy is stored in it, then yes, flashrom can read and write
user-specified address ranges (you need some patches though, this
functionality is not in the released code yet, as mentioned previously).
if you require real CMOS data too, then you would need to use a second
tool and e.g. create a script that calls both.