[flashrom] EC A928 failed flash. part 2.1

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 30 22:25:09 CET 2012

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 19:50:01 +0100
simon <simon.riget at gmail.com> wrote:

> -I determined BIOS version by entering the BIOS setup.
>
> -The flashrom version i'm using doesn’t support the -o option
> -Output didn't show any errors.
>
> - Now I can't read the flashrom to file. Do you recommend using the -f
> option?
>
> #flashrom -p internal -r read2.rom -V
> <output>
> flashrom v0.9.5.2-r1517 on Linux 3.2.0-33-generic-pae (i686), built with
> libpci 3.1.8, GCC 4.6.3, little endian
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Calibrating delay loop... OS timer resolution is 2 usecs, 1185M loops
> per second, 10 myus = 11 us, 100 myus = 101 us, 1000 myus = 1030 us,
> 10000 myus = 10130 us, 8 myus = 10 us, OK.
> Initializing internal programmer
> No coreboot table found.
> DMI string system-manufacturer: "Elitegroup Co.                  "
> DMI string system-product-name: "i-Buddie                        "
> DMI string system-version: "1.0                             "
> DMI string baseboard-manufacturer: "Elitegroup Co. "
> DMI string baseboard-product-name: "i-Buddie "
                                      ^^^^^^^^^
> DMI string baseboard-version: "2.0                             "
> DMI string chassis-type: "Portable"
                            ^^^^^^^^
compare that to http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1442
while the DMI data is not directly read from flash, it is a clear sign
that the BIOS has changed (the firmware sets up the DMI table in memory
where flashrom reads it then).
so flashrom clearly did work as intended, that's great.

because elitegroup changed the chassis type to "portable" flashrom
thinks it is running on a laptop and bails out for safety reasons.
you have to use -p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick because of that
until we whitelist that system in a future version, sorry.

why they did not increment/change the bios version i dont know... but
as you see they do lots of errors :)

so as far as i am concerned, everything looks normal and i will add
the board/chipset etc to our list of supported hardware with an
appropriate note.