[flashrom] MX25L1605DM2I-12G with Buspirate

Idwer Vollering vidwer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 13:20:12 CET 2012

2012/11/29 Daniel . <phl3ckz at googlemail.com>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am absolute beginner but I need to read and write the above mentioned
> serial Flash memory.
>
> This is a BIOS chip and had a bad flash. Now it is unsoldered from
> mainboard.

How do you connect the buspirate to the chip and what is the chip's
form factor (e.g. soic8)? The datasheet mentions SOP/WSON/PDIP.

> I want read it out and reflash a new BIOS file.
>
> Therefore I really need help how to connect the chip pins with the buspirate
> pins in a correct way.
>
> This is how pins are shown in the data sheet of Macronix MX25L1605DM2I-12G
>
> CS#            1       8   VCC
> SO/SIO1    2        7   HOLD#
> WP#ACC   3        6    SCLK
> GND           4        5    SI/SIO0

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate_I/O_Pin_Descriptions

This is how I connect my buspirate to a MX25L1605A soic8 chip:

CS# (CS)						[1	8]	VCC (bridge with buspirate pin 3+7)
SO (MISO)					[2	7]	HOLD # (+3V3)
WP# (bridge with buspirate pin 7+8)	[3	6]	SCLK (CLK)
GND (GND)					[4	5]	SI (MOSI)

> I am using Bus Pirate v3.5 with FW v6.2-beta1 r1981 BL v4.4 and flashrom
> v0.9.6.1-r1624 on Windows.

Bus Pirate v3.a
Firmware v6.2-beta1 r1981  Bootloader v4.4

> Would I have to setup the buspirate in a terminal before using flashrom? I
> mean SPI mode and so on? If yes could someone help me with this settings
> too?

It's not necessary to change modes (no need to change from HiZ to SPI).