[flashrom] laptop with no BIOS? or BIOS reflash pain

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Nov 1 12:27:21 CET 2012

	Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:28:22 +0100
	Subject: Re: laptop with no BIOS? or BIOS reflash pain
	From: Idwer Vollering <vidwer at gmail.com>
	To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org, flashrom at flashrom.org

	Another approach is to use an external SPI programmer:
	http://flashrom.org/Supported_programmers
	The 'downside' of this is that you need to take your laptop apart.

	ODM schematics of your laptop are found here:
	http://notebookschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/6515b_6715s.png
	Downloads for BIOS updates:
	http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3356623&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3368539&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093#120
	and ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55501-56000/sp55556.exe

	My guess (I am not a HP service technician) is that you need
	ROM.CAB/Rom.bin from sp55556.exe - you can use 7zip to extract Rom.bin

This is probably way beyond my skills,
but thanks anyway.

Anton