[flashrom] external programmer

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu May 31 13:54:08 CEST 2012

On Thu, 31 May 2012 07:27:03 -0400
Bicks Factory <newforest333 at hotmail.ca> wrote:

> Hey thanks for taking time to help out. So I went and got a copy of debian os to try. I installed it but had too many problems with network cards not being detected and getting root privlages etc. That was a waste of a cd. So I went to ubuntu 12.04. Installed on hard drive and couldnt get flashrom to install at all. Changed the server location were ubuntu was looking for flashrom from CAN site to default server. Worked. So now I have ubuntu installed with flashrom. I checked and libftdi is installed aswell. Unfortunately I get the same problem. Cant detect/see my external programmer. I am hoping someone that has got this thing to work can add some usefull instructions on how they got this to work.
> Thanks again.
> I hope Im responding in the right manner. Not sure if this is going to a personal email or if this is going to the mailing list.

can you please send us the complete output of flashrom you get (please
ensure that there is at least one -V parameter in your command line so
that we see useful debug information).
the output of lsusb would also be interesting.

i can only think of three possible problems:
your flashrom version is too old (unlikely with ubuntu 12.04), or the
programmer has different IDs than flashrom expects, or there is a
communication problem that flashrom/libftdi does not diagnose correctly.