[flashrom] Marvell 9120 SATA Controller/Macronix MX25L4005 EEPROM on ASUS P7p55D-E LX

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri May 25 21:23:18 CEST 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012 16:02:47 -0400
"Richard R. Blum" <rrblum at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Flashrom Support:
>
> I recently bricked the Marvell 9120 SATA Controller on an ASUS P7P55D-E LX mainboard.  I
> have read that I may be able to recover this controller by flashing the external Macronix
> MX25L4005 EEPROM on which the Marvell 9120 firmware is stored using flashrom.
>
> When I ran flashrom on the ASUS P7P55D-E LX mainboard, flashrom returned the warnings
> associated with laptops, so I didn't run flashrom further.  It appears that flashrom fully supports
> the Macronix MX25L4005 EEPROM and I have a copy of an image of the original firmware.  Also,
> it is my understanding that the ASUS P7P55D-E LX southbridge is an Intel ICH10R.
>
> Is it possible to flash the Macronix MX25L4005 EEPROM without removing the chip?  If so,
> please provide recommendations and instructions.  If not, I read about a flashrom user who
> flashed a Macronix MX25L4005 to restore a laptop using a buspirate and disconnecting the VCC
> pin.

hi
you seem to be a little bit confused :)
the macronix chip you see is most probably the one where your mainboard
has stored its firmware/bios. it has nothing to do with the marvell
controller's flash.
atm there is only support for marvell's 88SX6041 and 88SX6042 in
flashrom (see satamv programmer). it is possible that we could add
support for your controller too, but not easily without a detailed
datasheet. and it would take some time too.

it might be easier to get an external programmer and attach it to the
flash directly. can you take a look at the sata controller and search
for the flash chip?
this might help you locating it:
http://flashrom.org/Technology