[flashrom] external programmer

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri May 25 08:56:01 CEST 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012 22:04:50 -0400
Bicks Factory <newforest333 at hotmail.ca> wrote:

>  Trying to use an external programmer, specifically the
> TIAO/DIYGADGET USB Multi-Protocol Adapter (TUMPA).
> Running from a live cd of parted magic. Using flashrom v0.9.5.2-r1515.
> Run command: flashrom -p ft2232_spi:type=tumpa
> get back: unknown programmer ft2232_spi:type=tumpa.
> Motherboard is a MSI G41M-F.
> Flashrom can see the flash chip on the board. Intel ich7
> Not really used to using command prompt or linux.
> I'm assuming I'm missing some usb drivers.
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hello!

that's not your fault (and admittedly the error message could be a bit
better). the problem seems to be that flashrom was compiled without
support for the ft2232_spi programmer in parted magic to safe space.
so you need to get another live cd or build flashrom yourself (not
really recommended when you dont know linux and the command line :)

i am not aware of any live cd that ships a full build of flashrom (i
was not aware yet, that they actually strip them down. it is not the
default to do so, so they did it on consciously).
the livecds of the bigger distributions such as ubuntu should be able
to install packages after boot, which is necessary because flashrom is
not added to the cds themselves and they should be the complete version.
this requires either internet access after boot or some manual
preparation though...
hth